10th Grade NavianceStudents will work with Mrs. Howard on their Naviance accounts during their Civics classes. Please see the presentation below to see the classroom lesson.North Carolina School of Science and Math
Applications can be completed online for the North Carolina School of Science and Math at www.cfnc.org and are due by January 15, 2019. Students must also take the SAT or ACT in December or the ACT in February, if they do not already have current scores. Students need the SAT or ACT, not both. They do NOT need the essay portion of these tests. For more information, please visit www.ncssm.edu/apply or see the presentation below.Potential NCAA College AthletesThe NCAA's initial-eligibility academic standards are changing for student-athletes enrolling at an NCAA Division I university on or after August 2016.Have questions or concerns in regards to NCAA athletics? The NCAA has created a eligibility resource index with tons of information to assist you along the way. There are even videos and PowerPoints to help understand the in's and out's of college athletics.****If you missed our AP/Honors Parent Night, please click the link below to view the presentation. Contact your child's School Counselor for any further questions.Adapted from www.cfnc.org
- Keep those grades up! You might have a lot going on this year, but it's important to stay focused on your schoolwork.
- Continue your conversations with your guidance counselors, teachers, family members or trusted adults about your plans for college or other paths towards a career.
- Find out about AP and Honors-level courses for junior year.
- Update your college planning file — or start one, if you haven't already. You can do this at www.cfnc.org.
- Continue extracurricular activities. Remember, many admissions officers look for well-rounded students who participate in the world around them. You don’t have to join every club; just find a few activities that you love!
- If you have room in your schedule, consider a part-time job or volunteer position.
- Look into participating in academic enrichment programs, summer workshops and camps with specialty focuses such as music, arts and sciences.
- Start thinking about what factors are important to you in choosing a college:
size, location, availability of extracurricular activities, for example.
Minimum Admissions Requirements (for HS GPA and SAT/ACT scores) for Freshman Admission to UNC InstitutionAll applicants for first-time admission as a freshmen must meet minimum high school GPA and SAT scores. The minimum high school GPA requirement for students entering NC college as of Fall 2013 and beyond is 2.5, a minimum SAT (critical reading & math) of 800, and a minimum ACT composite score of 17.
- Keep reading! Expanding your vocabulary and learning new things will help with many things over the next few years.