CHS Science Mission Statement
The mission of the Cummings High School Science Department is to give each student an understanding of the nature of science by incorporating the theoretical aspects, real life experiences, lab-oriented format that engages experimentation, problem solving and problem-based learning. We strive to ensure every learner can reach his/her potential.
As a department, we believe students must:
- Develop skills in observation, investigation, problem solving, communication and the use of technology.
- Acquire knowledge, understanding, and appreciation of the natural world.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication in problem-solving, critical thinking, computational and research skills.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with others while demonstrating respect for diversity.
- Become morally responsible and active citizens to make informed decisions.
- Demonstrate the habit of life-long learning while exploring future educational and career opportunities.
Cummings High School Science Department is dedicated to providing educational opportunities, commitment to excellence and the engagement of partnership with UNC-Greensboro, Elon University, North Carolina State University and the community. We truly feel it takes a team effort to ensure success for all students.CHS Science Department Grading Scales
HonorsTest 40%Quiz: 15%Lab/Projects-25%Classwork/Homework: 20%
TraditionalTest 30%Quiz 10%Classwork/ Homework 15%Lab/Projects: 25%Evidence of Learning : 20%