• Requirements for Employment
    Requirements for Employment


     How do I become a substitute teacher?

    Effective January 1, 2009, the Alamance-Burlington School System requires that anyone interested in becoming a substitute teacher complete “Effective Teacher Training for Substitutes” prior to becoming a substitute teacher. This training is offered through Alamance Community College at various intervals throughout the year. You can contact Paula at 336-506-4219 to get more information regarding this class or you can view the webpage at www.alamancecc.edu. Upon successful completion of the training, please drop off or mail a copy of the certificate you receive to the Alamance-Burlington School System Human Resources Department. We will also accept a certificate stating that you have completed the Teacher Assistant Program at ACC in lieu of the Effective Teacher Training. If you have a teaching certificate whether current or expired, you may submit this also, in lieu of the Effective Teacher Training. Once you have submitted your certificate, you will be scheduled for New Employee Orientation. If you have questions regarding this process, please feel free to contact Karen Sharpe at 336-438-4000 ext. 20051.

    The substitute teacher process in a nutshell:

    • Complete the on-line application
    • Attend Effective Teacher Training through Alamance Community College


    • Present Teacher Assistant Certificate


    • Present teacher certificate (current or expired)

    Once you have met the qualifications, email karen_sharpe@abss.k12.nc.us of your interest to be a substitute teacher. Share your mailing address, and when a new "Substitute Interest Meeting" date has been set, you will be mailed an invitation with instructions of all of the paperwork needed. These meetings are set to go over some important information about working for ABSS, and to begin collecting your paperwork. It will take approximately an hour.

    If you wish to come to a meeting of interest, please email me and let me know which date works for you. If you are enrolled in a class at ACC and wish to come to a meeting, prior to getting your certificate, you are welcome to come and submit the remaining paperwork when completed.

    How do I become eligible for employment?

    Applicants must meet any minimum requirements specified in the job description in order to be considered. Licensed employees must hold, or be eligible for, the necessary certification as required by North Carolina’s Department of Public Instruction. Teacher Assistant candidates must meet the federal definition of “highly qualified” (HQ) under the federal No Child Left Behind law. See below to find out what it takes for someone to be HQ in our District:

    Teacher Assistant/EC Assistant Qualifications under NCLB:

    Pass Work Keys AND Complete 96 contact hours in a CORE subject area such as Reading, Writing, Math; or Teaching Exceptional Children, Classroom Management, or Classroom Presentations. A 3-credit college course from a college/university is considered to be 45 contact hours. So, for example, if an applicant successfully passed (with a “C” or better) Reading 101, Math 101, and Writing 101 – he/she will have met the 96 contact hours requirement). ACC offers a Teacher Assistant course that will provide 96 contact hours upon completion.

    - OR - Pass College Placement Test AND Complete 96 contact hours in a CORE subject area.

    - OR - 48 hours of transferrable credit from an accredited college/university

    - OR - Associate’s Degree or higher from an accredited college/university

    - OR - College degree from an accredited college/university

    I am interested in driving a School Bus for ABSS. What is required?

    The first step is applying online.  Certified, classified, bus driver, and substitute applications are available online. Selected applicants will be scheduled for a driver training class, and must also complete a drug test. For upcoming training dates, please call 336-570-6480. Candidates must successfully complete drivers training and drug screening prior to being hired. Principals interview candidates, and will select those who are a good fit for their school. Please see “The Interview and Employment Process”, below, for more information about how candidates are selected for open positions.

    Tell me about licensure.

    Applicants are responsible for obtaining a North Carolina teacher's license and filing it with the Human Resources office. Applicants still in teacher training should check with their college education department concerning licensure. Out-of-state applicants should contact the Division of Teacher Licensure, 301 North Wilmington Street, Raleigh, North Carolina 27611, phone 919-807-3300. This information may be found online.

    Interested in teaching, but have a Bachelor’s Degree unrelated to education?

    If you are looking for a place where you can truly make a difference in the lives of children – practice the art of teaching proudly, share your ideas with colleagues, engage in intellectual discourse, and develop yourself professionally for limitless potential – ABSS is your Employer of Choice!

    We are delighted to hear of your interest in teaching. North Carolina does provide an alternate route to teaching, called Lateral Entry. View a helpful guide to the lateral entry process: Qualifications for Lateral Entry

    Download a chart that explains what is required for lateral entry in North Carolina. (pdf)

    Download a chart that explains what is required for lateral entry for EC in North Carolina. (28k - pdf)

    To apply directly to the RALC, access the following overview for prospective teachers.

    Access another page that is designed for teachers already employed, but may be useful to you as a prospective lateral entry teacher, because it provides detailed information about the entire process: Currently employed teachers interested in Lateral Entry

    Praxis teacher tests may be required. Access NC state requirements for Praxis

    In North Carolina, the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) is the governing body for licensure. DPI issues all teacher licenses, evaluates experience for salary credit, manages the NC online application system, and much more.

    After reviewing the above information, should you have additional questions or concerns, feel free to call Human Resources at 336-438-4073.

    Are transcripts required?

    Transcripts are not required to apply. However, after a formal offer of employment is made, licensed employees, as well as classified employees who must be HQ (see above), official transcripts are REQUIRED. Please order an official set of transcripts (for any degrees earned related to your area of interest) and have them sent DIRECTLY TO YOU (not to us, unless your college/university will not send to you)! As you can imagine, with thousands of employees on payroll, and even more applicants, Human Resources handles an incredibly large amount of paperwork. You should always keep a copy of your transcripts for your records.

    Do I need to include references?

    Yes. Your application should include the name, position, complete mailing address, and work and home phone numbers of at least three references, such as principals and supervisors, who have first hand knowledge of your professional preparation and competence. At least one reference must be from a supervisor. References from relatives are not accepted, nor are references from friends who have not observed you in a work capacity.