National Board Certification
A dedicated website has been established By National Board to serve as a clearinghouse for information and resources during COVID-19. Be sure to check it regularly (https://www.nbpts.org/covid-19/). National Board also is hosting a webinar series to support teachers during this time. Free registration is required; registration links can be found under the Professional Development section below.
ABSS is proud to have 184 National Board Certified Teachers. National Board Certification, offered by the National Board For Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS), is a way to recognize the accomplished teaching that is occurring in North Carolina's classrooms. The certification process is based on high and rigorous a standards that evaluate teaching practice through performance-based assessments. To learn more, please visit ncpublicschools.org/nationalboardcertification or download the Guide to National Board Certification.
Teachers who have participated in National Board Certification have overwhelmingly stated it is the most powerful professional development experience of their careers. They say the experience changes them as professionals and that through the process they deepen their content knowledge and develop, master, and reflect on new approaches to working with their students.
Considering pursuing National Board Certification?
Getting ready to renew?
Click the "Stay Informed" button to subscribe to updates.
Procedures and Requirements to Apply for National Board Certification
This information and the sites referenced below are updated periodically as more information about the National Board certification process becomes available. To learn more information, follow the steps below:
- Review all information on the National Board website.
- Review the Guide to National Board Certification.
- Review the Component 1 At-a-Glance and Component 2 At-a-Glance documents in the Candidate Info section.
- Meet all National Board Eligibility Requirements at the time of application, including the completion of at least three years of teaching, school counseling, or working in the media center.
- Review the NC eligibility for NBPTS Pay Differential.
- Review the NC eligibility criteria for state loan funding.
- Apply directly to National Board at using the National Board Certification Online Application. This includes paying the $75 annual processing charge. *Note: You must check “yes” to releasing information to a third party on the NB application. The third parties are the State (for loan funding), WCS (for renewal credits and salary increase) and NCCAT.
- If you are applying for state funding, complete the North Carolina National Board state loan funding application on or before the deadline (December 31). If you are eligible for State loan funding, do not pay anything except the $75 processing charge to National Board—you will not be reimbursed. Please note that loan funding is limited.
- Note: You may complete components in any order but you should only order components you are ready to complete. You may take up to 3 years to complete all of the certification requirements. Once you order a component, you must complete it by the submission deadline.
For further information or assistance with National Board Certification, please contact:
Dean Richardson, Director of Teacher Recruitment & Induction
The National Board hosted a webinar series to support teachers during the COVID-19. Resources from the webinars are linked below: