Habit 3: Put First Things First (Work First, Then Play)
Principles and Concepts:
- Reactive vs. proactive responses
- The freedom to choose
- Choose your weather
- Responsibility, choice, accountability, initiative, and respect
- Common: I spend time on what's most urgent.
- Highly Effective: I spend time on what's most important.
- Focus on your highest priorities.
- Eliminate the unimportant.
- Plan every week.
- Connect with mission, roles, and goals.
- Schedule the Big Rocks.
- Organize the rest.
- Stay true in the moment of choice.
Results (I am disciplined and get the most important things done.)
Some results I might expect from living Habit 1 at a higher level are:
- Increased organization and productivity.
- Fewer crises.
- A reputation for follow-through.
- More life balance and peace of mind.
Books that reinforce Habit 3: Put First Things First
- Froggy Gets Dressed by Jonathan London
- The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Alejandro's Gift by Richard E. Albert
- Jamaica's Find by Juanita Havill
- The Week Mom Unplugged the TVs by Terry Wolfe Phelan
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan
- The TV kid by Betsy Byars
- Justin and the Best Biscuits in the World by Mildred Pitts Walter