• Lateral entry is an alternate route to teaching which allows a school system to hire someone with at least a bachelor's degree as a teacher, with the assumption that over the next three years the person being hired will complete a teacher education program through a college, university, or RALC. If you have a Bachelors degree with at least 24 credit hours in a core subject area from an accredited college or university, you may be able to begin teaching immediately as a Lateral Entry teacher. As a lateral entry teacher, you will receive full salary and benefits while you complete additional college courses to receive teacher certification. Individual plans of study are prescribed for lateral entry teachers who must complete the necessary educational coursework (and other requirements) for a professional educator’s license while teaching.
    ***Note: The State Board of Education is phasing out the “Lateral Entry Pathway.” This pathway will no longer be offered effective June 30, 2019. For additional information on obtaining a N.C. Residency License, click here.
    The Process to become a Lateral Entry Teacher
    The lateral entry teaching process allows a candidate with a non-teaching degree to obtain a Teaching License.  The first step is to determine what certification areas you are eligible or highly qualified to teach. 
    The process is outlined on the NC Department of Public Instruction website, including the Praxis test and scores required for each certification area, at the following link: http://www.ncpublicschools.org/licensure/lateral/
    Testing requirements:
    Specific testing requirements for your licensure area can be found by clicking on one of the links below:

    Elementary Education: (Look under "Prospective Candidates" for info)
    Special Education: General Curriculum: 
          http://www.nc.nesinc.com/(Look under "Prospective Candidates" for info)  and http://www.ets.org/praxis/nc
    All other Licensure Areas: 
    For more information regarding lateral entry opportunities with the Alamance-Burlington School System, contact:
    Dean Richardson, Director of Teacher Recruitment
    336-438-4000, ext. 20048

  • Pearson Test Prep - NCEES Modules for Current Teachers
    There is an on-line tutorial offered free from the state for the Pearson tests.
    Log into the Homebase Evaluation system and click on the "Professional Development" tab (see the picture). Then search for the name of the course below. They are self-paced test and can serve as a start for your test preparation.  Please let your us know how helpful you found the course. 



    Pearson Test Prep
    #247 Preparation for Foundation of Reading Licensure Exam: Self-Paced
    #248 Preparation for the North Carolina General Curriculum Mathematics Subtest: Self-Paced

    Pearson Test Prep for Potential Teachers
    There is an on-line tutorial from Pearson for the Foundations of Reading Test and the General Curriculum Test (Math and Multi-Subject).

    RALC Test Prep Resources
    The RALC has test preps workshops available at http://www.ralc.us/testing. Take a look at the Test Prep links at the bottom of the page.  To access this resource, you must create an account and register on the website.
    There are modules offered through NC Education as a self-paced module to complete.  It's intended to help out of state teachers and others prepare for the Pearson test.  Both the Math and Reading test preps are available. 

  • Regional Alternative Licensing Center (while Teaching)
    Teaching candidates with a lateral entry license have another option for pursuing full licensure and that is to utilize one of the states' four Regional Alternative Licensing Centers. The RALCs do not replace the services offered by local colleges or universities, but instead work in collaboration with them to provide various routes toward obtaining a clear professional educator's license. The regional centers provide another option for clearing the outstanding requirements on the lateral entry or provisional professional educator's license in specified licensure areas. All RALC applicants must qualify for a lateral entry professional educator's license in North Carolina to receive services through the regional centers.
    Link: www.ralc.us 
    The link "Do I qualify" on the home page contains an interactive set of questions to help determine if you qualify for a lateral entry degree.
    News contains links to universities about current course offerings

    Alamance-Burlington Schools is served by the Nash Regional Alternative Licensing Center.

    Teresa A. McCall, Director
    PO Box 945
    Zebulon, NC 27597

    Phone: (252) 937-9085

    Email: tamccall@nrms.k12.nc.us