ESSA — Parent and Family Engagement
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) requires that any school district receiving Title I funds must notify parents/guardians of students attending Title I schools of their right to request teacher qualification information and notify parents/guardians of all schools (Title I and Non-Title I) of their right to request assessment information. Information on specific parent/guardian rights is below.
Parents/guardians of students attending Title I schools may request the following classroom teacher information:
• Whether the teacher has met State qualifications for grade levels and subject areas in which the teacher provides instruction;
• Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other professional status that the State has waived;
• Whether the teacher is teaching in the field of discipline of the certification of the teacher; and
• Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and if so their qualifications.
A school that receives Title I funds must provide to each parent/guardian:
• Information on the level of achievement and academic growth the child, if applicable and available, has made on each of the State academic assessments required under this part; and
• Timely notice that the parent’s child has been assigned or taught for 4 or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who does not meet the applicable State certification or licensure requirements at the grade level and subject area in which the teacher has been assigned.
Parents/guardians of students attending all schools must be notified of their right to:
• Request information regarding any State or local educational agency policy regarding student participation in any assessments mandated by section 1111(b)(2) and by the State or local educational agency, which shall include a policy, procedure, or parental right to opt the child out of such assessment, where applicable.
• View information on each assessment required by the State
Click here to access the Alamance-Burlington Schools Parent and Family Engagement Policy
Click here to access the ABSS Parent and Family Engagement Policy in Spanish
Click here to access school performance grades for each ABSS school