Dear Students and Families,
Welcome to 8th grade Science! I am very excited to get to know you and I know we are going to have a happy and productive school year. Please read the information below to familiarize yourself with the course and my expectations.
- First Day of School - Students can find the Zoom link for their homeroom teacher on the Western Alamance Middle website. Their homeroom Zoom meeting begins at 8:15, and attendance will be taken. Zoom links for Science class will also be posted on my teacher webpage which is accessible from the Western Middle homepage.
- Zoom Meetings – Live sessions will be held daily. Depending on the lesson, instruction may last 55 minutes, or it may be shorter with time for student practice. (Either way I will be on the entire 55 minutes to answer questions and help students).
- Grades – POWERSCHOOL IS THE AUTHORITY ON GRADES. Canvas does have a “grade” for your student, but that grade only includes items scored within Canvas – activities completed on external sites are not included in the Canvas grade. PowerSchool is updated often. Please be sure to click on the notes beside the assignments for details, and let me know if you have any questions. Homework and vocabulary are weighted at 15%, projects at 20%, classwork worth 35% and quizzes worth 30%. It is very easy to pass my class with an “A” as long as assignments are quality and turned in on time. Quizzes will be given every Friday and are based on that week’s learning, with a few “throwback” questions as well. Making time to study will be important! My homework policy is simple; homework is due on the assigned date and I will not accept late work. I understand that there can be extenuating circumstances once in a while and I will take these into consideration as the situation arises. All homework and vocabulary for the week is assigned on Monday, and due on Friday.
- Supplies - Students are asked to bring all supplies to class every day. These supplies include a composition notebook (not a spiral notebook), a pencil, a red ink pen, and a positive attitude! Earbuds are suggested to reduce background noise for students and to help with focusing.
Studies show that parental involvement in a child’s education is one of the strongest indicators of student achievement. Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Once again, welcome to my class! Let’s work together to make this the best year ever!!
Heather R. Simpson
8th Grade Science
Western Middle School
(336) 715-0410 (This number is only active M-F, 8am-4pm, for both calling and texting)