I love Biology. That's why I spell it with a capital "B." I think Biology is an interesting subject because it includes study of living organisms and life processes. Biology lays the foundation of important disciplines like Zoology, Ecology, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Biomedical Research, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Proteomics, etc.
Why Biology is important to study for high school?
- It helps us get a better understanding about the world in its natural processes
- It is the study of how lives evolves, survives and changes.
- It gives knowledge about the interaction of cells with organs and organisms, environment and ecosystem.
- It teaches how various organs and system works on human body and how everything is connected in our body.
- It is an important subject for medical point of view which includes identifying disease and its cure.
- Knowledge of Biology helps making a better environment to live in.
- The vast study of Biology has contributed to huge improvements in agriculture.
Put simply - you ARE biology. By studying biology and biological systems, you will learn more about yourself and your role in the biosphere.
I love being outdoors. I was born in a hospital room with ocean views, so I can honestly say that I've loved the beach from the day I was born. I have lived in three countries - Australia, the United States, and China. I have seen an incredibly diverse range of environments, from the dryest desert to the Amazon rainforest. I love it all.
My aim in teaching this course is to give my students an understanding of and appreciation for the natural environment. I hope my enthusiasm for the subject matter will help to make the class as interesting and enjoyable as possible. Here's what the NSTA ( Nationnal Science Teacher's Association has to say about the benefits of Earth / Environmental education:
- Understanding of the environment offers a relevant context for the learning and integration of core science knowledge, making it an essential component of a comprehensive science education program.
- 21st century students need to achieve environmental literacy - an appreciation for and knowledge of a range of environmental issues, perspectives, and positions.
- U.S. students need to have an awareness and understanding of global environmental issues, potential solutions, and ways to prevent emerging environmental crises.
I hope that you enjoy this experience, and gain as much from taking the course as I will from presenting it.