Good evening Hawfields families. It is hard to believe that our school year is coming to an end. I want to thank everyone for your continued support throughout the year and I wish each of you a fun-filled summer break from school. The last few days are quite busy beginning with our field day and PBIS reward day during the school day tomorrow. If your child owes library books/fines, textbooks and/or cafeteria fees, the accounts need to be taken care of before field day begins. Your child has been given several notices if he/she owes any money for anything, so please ask your child if there are any outstanding accounts. I also want to invite you to attend the events that involve your children. The athletic banquet is Wednesday evening at 6:00. We will be recognizing the accomplishments of our student athletes. On Thursday evening, we will be presenting our 8th grade academic achievements for this school year, as well as the 3-year academic awards. This program begins at 7:00. You must have a ticket to attend this program. On Friday, we will have our end-of-the awards programs for our 7th grade at 9:00 and 6th grade at 10:30. Please note that we have a 2-hour early release on Friday. Students will be dismissed at 1:25. Once again, have a safe summer and we will see you soon.
Good evening Hawfields' families. I want to remind everyone that end-of-grade tests begin for students tomorrow morning.
- Once again, we will be collecting cell phones and all other electronic devices before testing begins and returning them to students after testing has been completed. If you or your child do not want your child's phone collected by his/her teacher, the phone should be left at home on Wed. and Thurs. If a child is caught with an electronic device, they will have to be removed from testing and will have to take a different test on a separate day.
- As before all major testing, please make sure your child gets to bed early, eats a good breakfast and arrives on time.
- No students are allowed to enter the testing room after testing begins so it is important that all students arrive by 8:10.
- If a student leaves early, he/she will have to take the entire test over on a separate day, so please do not check your child out early on these days.
05.12.2013 -Good evening Hawfields' families. I hope everyone has had a great weekend.
- I want to thank my band and chorus students who did a great job representing Hawfields at Carowinds yesterday. I have gotten excellent reports from those who attended the event.
- Our Academic Boosters are currently seeking parents for the offices of President, Vice-President, and Secretary/Treasurer. If you are interested, please email your name and phone number along with the position in which your interested to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Tuesday morning. Voting will be held on May 16th prior to the band concert and again on May 23rd prior to the choral concert. If you are unable to attend, please contact the boosters at the above email address for a ballot.
05.05.2013 -Good afternoon Hawfields' families.
- I would like to invite everyone to a presentation by our superintendent, Dr. Cox, of the budget proposal for next school year. She will be speaking tomorrow night at 6:00 in the Southern Middle School media center. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- Also, our athletic boosters will be meeting tomorrow night at 5:30 in our media center. If you are a member or would like to be a member of our athletic boosters, please plan to attend this meeting.
- Parents, we have accumulated an abundance of lost and found items. If your child has lost any items this semester, please encourage your child to check our lost and found, or you are welcome to come check the lost and found to see if you can locate your child's missing items. We will be making another donation of unclaimed items to our local charities next week.
- Our end of grade testing will begin on May 22nd. We are in need of proctors for May 22nd, May 23rd, May 29th, and May 30th. If you are able to help any or all of these dates, please let us know. You can either call the school or submit the form located on our webpage.
04.14.13 -Good afternoon Hawfields’ families.
- I hope everyone received the report cards that were sent home this week along with the information letter that outlined some of the state testing changes and the many events that are on our calendar for the remainder of the year.
- One event that was not on the calendar that I would like to let you know about is our Athletic Boosters meeting tomorrow night at 6:00 in our media center. You are welcome to join our boosters and we hope you are able to attend.
- Also, just a reminder that we do have an early release day this Wednesday. We will be dismissing students at 12:25.
- We also have our academic awards programs this Wednesday. The 7th grade program will begin at 8:30, the 8th grade program will begin at 9:45 and the 6th grade program will begin at 11:30. We will recognize A and A/B honor roll students as well as other team and teacher awards. We hope you are able to join us for the awards programs.
Good afternoon Hawfields families. Please remember that Monday is a teacher workday and our teachers will be involved in staff development all day. I also want to remind all parents that our student planners are an effective method of communication between school and home. Students should be writing their homework in the planners and parents can see how many signatures and stamps their child has received. I want to thank you for your continued support.
Good afternoon Hawfields' families. I wanted to inform you that we conducted an emergency drill this afternoon. The drill enabled us to identify how our students and staff would react in an emergency situation. We feel that the drill was successful and we will use the information we gathered to improve our response in the event that we have to implement the plan in a real situation. If you have questions, feel free to talk to an administrator or counselor. Thank you for your support and have a great weekend.
Good evening Hawfields families. I want to wish each of you a Happy New Year! I hope everyone is relaxed and has had a great winter break. I want to remind everyone that school will resume on Wednesday, January 2nd. I have been told that one of the local papers printed the incorrect date for students to return and I want to clarify that students and teachers will return on Wednesday. Once again Happy New Year and thank you for your continued support.
Hawfields Academic Boosters is sponsoring a raffle. Tickets are $1 each. You have your choice to win an iPad 16GB – 3rdGeneration, a $250 WalMart Gift Card, a Home Safety Kit from Walter Kidde OR $200 in Restaurant Gift Cards. Your child can get a ticket request letter from his or her teacher or you can contact HAB at HMSHAB@yahoo.com. Money raised will be used to purchase items needed in the classrooms. Tickets and or money is to be turned in no later than Friday, December 14th. Drawing will be held on Thursday, December 20th. Thanks in advance for your support.
12.2.12 -Good evening Hawfields families.
- Our basketball teams will begin their season with a game at Broadview Middle on Tuesday and our first home game against Graham on Thursday. Games begin at 4:15. Students can stay after school and go to our gym at dismissal. Admission is $3.
- We will also be selling yearbooks at school this week during lunch on Tues., Wed., and Thurs. The cost for the yearbook ordered at school is $37, including tax. Please send your check made payable to Hawfields Middle or have the exact amount of cash. Yearbooks can still be purchased online, as well for $35 plus tax until Dec. 14th. After the 14th, the price will go up to $40 plus tax.
- 8th grade parents…information regarding placing 8th grade ads in the yearbook will be sent home this week.
- Parents, we are beginning to have a safety concern during dismissal. Please do not park behind our loading dock or behind the tress at the back of our parking lot. All car riders need to be picked up in our car rider line or parents should park and come to pick up your child.
Good afternoon, Hawfields families.
- I am calling to remind everyone that the school will be closed on Monday in recognition of Veterans' Day. Students will return to school on Tuesday.
- Ciao Pizza in Mebane is sponsoring Hawfields Night Out on Tuesday from 5-8 PM. Our Academic Boosters will get 10% of sales. Just let your hostess know you are with Hawfields.
- Our 6th grade band will be performing on Thursday night at 7:00 PM. We hope you can join us as they share what they have learned this year. Our talent show will be Friday night beginning at 7:00 PM. Please come out to support our students. Proceeds will go to help support Christmas Cheer.
10.21.12 -Good Evening Hawfields Families,
I want to invite you to the Mega Party on Friday, October 26, from 3:30 - 5:30 PM, at the Hawfields Football Field. For $10.00, students may purchase a game pass that will give them unlimited games/activities (excluding concessions and the dunking booth). Tickets may be purchased at $0.25 each. Please pick up students on the backside of Hawfields, using the Garrett Elementary entrance. Parents, if you are willing to help with the Mega Party, please contact me, Matthew Haley, by phone at 919-563-5303 or through email at email@example.com.
Early release day will be Wednesday, October 24. School will dismiss at 12:25 PM.
Thank you and have a great evening.
9.23.12 -Good afternoon Hawfields families. I have some important reminders for you.
- 6th grade families, please make sure you have turned in your Tdap vaccination information. Tuesday is the last day students will be permitted to attend school until the form has been submitted.
- Also, if you were on Free or Reduced lunch last year, you must complete a form again this year. New applications must be turned in before October 8th to avoid accumulating charges from the cafeteria.
- The Academic Boosters will hold their 2nd general meeting following the AIG parent meeting. If you were not able to attend the first booster meeting, please join us at 6:30 in the media center.
- Our softball team will play Graham Middle on Wednesday and our football team will challenge Woodlawn Middle on Thursday.
- We will have our Zaxby's Night this Thursday from 5:00 - 8:00. No flyer is needed.
9.8.12 -Good evening Hawfields families. I would like to invite everyone to our first general meeting for our Hawfields Academic Boosters this Tuesday at 5:45 in our cafeteria. You will have an opportunity to learn more about how you can be involved in our middle school and plans for this school year. We hope to see you on Tuesday. Just a reminder that progress reports will go home next Monday, September 17th. We also have our first early release day on Wednesday, September 19th. Students will be dismissed at 12:25. Have a great evening and thank you for your support.
Additional information will be provided throughout the year at school activities, and on the school website in the Parent section.
- At face to face opportunities at the school
- Online account registration
- For those without internet access, print copies will be provided
Once again, thank you for your support. Have a great evening.
- At face to face opportunities at the school
8.26.12 -Good afternoon Hawfields’ families. Welcome back! I hope everyone is excited about the upcoming school year. Just a few reminders –
- When dropping off your child in the mornings, please pull up to the top of the circle drive (where the sidewalk begins) if you are the leading car. This will allow approximately 8 – 10 cars to unload at the same time. This procedure will help the arrival be efficient, getting you to your next designation as quickly and safely as possible.
- In the afternoons, again, if you are the lead car, please pull up to the tree (someone will be there to indicate which tree). Do not ask your child to meet you in the parking lot. If you choose to park, you will need to come to pick up your child. We do not allow students to walk through the parking lot unattended. Our goal is to get students in their cars as safely and as quickly as possible.
- Our tardy bell rings at 8:10. Please make sure your child arrives in time to be in his/her homeroom when the tardy bell rings. If your child is going to eat breakfast at school, please arrive no later than 7:50 to allow your child time to eat before the tardy bell.
- We will dismiss this year at 3:25. If you need to notify your child of any changes to his/her dismissal plans, please call the school before 3:00 to make sure we have time to get the message to your child.
- You will be receiving quite a few papers on the first day that need to be completed and returned. It is important that the papers be returned by the end of the first week. We have to get our information updated before you will have access to online grades, so it is important that we get the forms back this week.
- If your family qualified for free/reduced lunch last year, don’t forget you will have to submit another application this year. Your child will only be able to qualify for this service for a limited time before you will be charged full price, so please take care of this within the first few days of school. If you need assistance filling out the forms, please contact our social worker or one of the school counselors for assistance. For those paying full price, breakfast will be $1.50 this year and the lunch price will be $2.20. You do have the option of putting money in your child’s account again this year.
Once again, welcome back. I am looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow morning! Have a great evening and thank you for your support.
8.19.12 -Good afternoon, Hawfields families.
- I want to remind everyone of our Meet the Teacher events this week.
- 6th grade will meet the teachers on Wed., Aug. 22nd, from 5:30 - 7:15. The Alamance County Health Department and several ABSS nurses have also volunteered to provide rising 6th grade students their Tdap vaccinations from 4:30 - 5:30 that evening. Remember, this is a vaccine that is required of all rising 6th graders. If your child has not received his/her immunization, please take advantage of the free opportunity to take care of this requirement before school begins.
- The Hawfields Academic Boosters will be at our Meet the Teacher events, selling Husky t-shirts and providing information about their organization. Make sure you stop by their table before you leave.
- Our 7th and 8th graders will meet their new teachers on Thursday, Aug. 23rd, from 5:30 - 7:00.
- I also want to remind our 7th and 8th graders that football tryouts will begin tomorrow, Monday, Aug. 20th, at 5:00. Make sure you have a copy of your physical with you if you have not already turned one in to Coach Marinis. Remember, football players should use the Garrett Elementary driveway and come in the back of Hawfields near the weight room. This is where they should be picked up from practice each afternoon, as well.
8.16.12 - 7th and 8th grade families -
Good evening Hawfields families. This is your principal, Amy Walker. I hope you and your family have enjoyed your summer vacation and you are ready to begin a new school year. I will be mailing postcards this Friday to each of you. The postcard will have the name of your homeroom teacher. When you come to our Meet the Teacher event on Thursday, August 23rd, you will report to your homeroom where you can pick up the rest of your schedule. You will have the opportunity to visit with each of your teachers before the event ends at 7:00 pm. Staff members will also be here to answer questions you have regarding the bus schedules or any other areas of concern you may have. We look forward to seeing you next Thursday.
8.16.12 - 6th grade families -
Good evening Hawfields families. This is your principal, Amy Walker. I hope you and your family have enjoyed your summer vacation and you are ready to begin your middle school career. I will be mailing postcards this Friday to each of you. The postcard will have the name of your homeroom teacher. When you come to our Meet the Teacher event on Wednesday, August 22nd, you will report to your homeroom at 5:30. We will give you the opportunity to travel through your entire schedule by 7:15. People will also be here to answer questions you have regarding the bus schedules or any other areas of concern you may have. We look forward to seeing you next Wednesday at 5:30.
8.5.12 - 7th grade families -
Good afternoon Hawfields families. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. We have been busy preparing for our next school year and I have some exciting news to share with you. We have gained a Spanish elective this year. Students will be able to receive high school credit for Spanish one during their 8th grade year. In order to get the high school credit, students must take Spanish during the second semester of their 7th grade year. Unfortunately, students who are in band or chorus will not be eligible for this course because they are all yearlong courses. Please talk with your child and let us know if your child would like to take Spanish one during his/her 8th grade year at HMS. If so, we will do our best to make sure he/she is registered for 7th grade Spanish second semester. You can either email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-563-5303. Once again, if your child is planning to take Spanish one for high school credit as an elective in 8th grade, we need to know to schedule the 7th grade Spanish class 2nd semester this year. Please let us know this week if your child wants to take advantage of this opportunity.
8.5.12 - 8th grade families -
Good afternoon Hawfields families. I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. We are busy preparing for the upcoming school year and I have some exciting news to share with you. We have gained a Spanish position this year. This is going to give our students the opportunity to begin learning Spanish and possibly earn a unit of high school credit at the same time. This opportunity is available to our rising 8th graders. We gave the students the opportunity to sign up for a yearlong Spanish class, but I also wanted to give parents the opportunity to talk to their children about this option. Unfortunately, if your child is in band or chorus, he/she will not be able to take advantage of this opportunity. If you and your child would like to take advantage of this opportunity, please either email me or call the school next week to let us know. We will try to accommodate for as many students who are interested as possible. Once again, please email me or call 919-563-5303 to let us know if you want your child registered for the yearlong Spanish elective.