SMS Athletics Eligibility Requirements
Athletic Policies & Eligibility
Southern Middle School
These requirements will be enforced each semester. In order to play sports, each athlete must meet these requirements. Your education comes first.
· Must be present 85% (no more than 13.5 absences) of the previous semester. This includes all excused and unexcused absences.
· You must be in school by 11:30 a.m. in order to participate in an after school activity.
· Must be a regularly enrolled member of the student body.
· Must participate at the school to which he/she is assigned by ABSS.
· Must live with parents or legal guardian.
· A student may not have two (2) residences for eligibility purposes.
· Cannot turn 15 before August 31 of that school year
· A sixth grader is allowed to all play sports, except football. May serve as a manager.
· Must have a physical exam from a doctor in order to try-out for a team. This physical is good for 395 days. A form is available at the school.
· Must have a concussion awareness form, signed by both student and parent, on file with school.
· Any student absent from practice for five (5) or more days due to illness or injury must submit a medical release from a licensed medical physician before re-admittance to practice or play.
· Must pass all core classes and 1 elective the previous semester.
· Must meet local promotion standards as established by ABSS.
· Students entering the 6thgrade for the first time are automatically eligible for first semester.
· No student may be eligible to participate at the middle school level for a period lasting longer than six (6) consecutive semesters, beginning with the student’s first entry into the 6th grade.