6/28/14 What's in the ABSS strategic plan?
What's in the ABSS strategic plan?
The Times-News 6/28/14
Reprinted with permission.
The Alamance-Burlington Board of Education adopted a strategic plan for school improvement through 2019 at its meeting June 16. Here’s what’s in it:
Goal 1: Exemplary classroom teaching and instructional leadership
Ensure high-quality teaching across district
- By Aug. 15: Create team of administrators, teachers to define standards of exemplary instruction
- By June 30, 2015: Assess current practices
- By Dec. 15, 2015: Communicate, model and encourage exemplary practices
- By July 2016: Establish expectations and implement improvements across district
- Monitor thereafter
Goal 2: Master plan for specialized programs
Creating specialized programs based on needs and interests of students and parents at each school. Long-term plans also include business and community partners.
By Aug. 15: Team from central office, schools make list of successful specialized programs and desired outcomes.
- By Dec. 15: Use student performance data, workforce needs, student interest surveys and feedback from parents, teachers, businesses and community to choose programs.
- July 15, 2015: Allocate staff and resources for programs.
- Secure long-term and meaningful support from local businesses and community partners.
- Implemented by region:
Cummings-Graham zones, 2015-2016
Southern-Williams zones, 2016-2017
Eastern-Western zones, 2017-2018
Goal 3: Written five-year facilities plan
Prioritize maintenance needs, safety upgrades, detail aesthetic improvements and modernization of facilities.
- Beginning January 2015, establish minimum standards for all facilities.
- Assess facilities.
- Prioritize needs, including needs for new buildings.
- Identify funding needs and sources.
- Dec. 31, 2015: Draft plan.
- Feb. 28, 2016: Adopt plan.
Goal 4: World-class teacher working conditions
Working conditions include teacher support, feedback and coaching for growth and improvement, leadership development for teachers/administrators, resources and tools, planning and instructional time, integrity and accountability and employee empowerment.
- By Aug. 15: Create team of administrators and teachers to define standards and conduct assessments.
- By June 30, 2015: Assess working conditions and needed improvements through teacher surveys, teacher working conditions report.
- By Dec. 15, 2015: Develop better working conditions/practices.
- By March 15, 2016: Focus staff and resources on new practices.
Goal 5: Compensation for building-level employees
“ABSS Board of Education will relentlessly pursue avenues for increasing the compensation of buildinglevel employees to levels that are competitive with surrounding school systems.”
- By Oct. 1: Hire firm to conduct study comparing ABSS salary and turnover data to surrounding districts.
- By Feb. 28: Conduct salary study for all certified and classified positions, including base pay and supplements.
- By April 30: Analyze study and recommendations.
- By June 30, 2015: Develop plan to implement, prioritize recommendations.
Goal 6: Classroom and school supports
Ensure equitable classroom materials, school resources, infrastructure and technology at all schools
- By Aug. 15: Create a team to define minimum standards and expectations, evaluate current resources.
- By March 15, 2015: Needs assessments completed for each school.
- By June 30, 2015: Technology and infrastructure plan based on needs and gaps.
- By Sept. 30, 2015: Explore online/remote learning opportunities.
- By Sept. 30, 2015: Develop plans to shift from textbooks to e-learning.