To be considered for this award, a student must:
- Be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes.
- Be a high school senior enrolling full-time as a first-year student or a currently enrolled community college transfer student enrolling full-time at any participating North Carolina college or university in the fall of 2020.
- Have a Pell eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Have a GPA of no less than 3.0
- Be a resident of a rural county that is economically distressed and/or tobacco dependent.
The scholarship provides $3,000 a year for up to 4 years to high school seniors and $3,000 a year for up to 3 years to community college transfer students. Approximately 215 scholarships are awarded.
Deadline: March 1, 2021 (application available first week in December)